[Continued from yesterday…]
“Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will free from you.”
Submit: “To yield, resign or surrender to the power, will, or authority of another; To give up resistance; To yield without murmuring”
(Noah Webster’s 1828 Dictionary).
If we walk in agreement with the world, then we walk contrary to God and, thus, become enemies to Him. It is not God’s will for us to be His enemy, but instead he desires to have us wholly to Himself, therefore He gives us the grace we need to overcome and to walk in victory over sin. For this reason, James tell us to submit to God. Based on the above definition, we learn three things about what it means to submit to God:
- As we submit to God, we come to agree with His word. We let go of our way and grasp a hold of God’s way. We admit that His way is best. We give up our need for control and yield ourselves over to the awesome power of God.
When we submit to God, we give up striving against God and we begin to strive against sin. We give up the right to be stubborn and we learn how to be meek before the presence of God.
- As we submit we do so without murmuring , or uttering complains in a low voice or sullen manner.
- book of james | chapter 4 (maryhess.com)
- Our Will Be Done? (d2dministries.com)
- Are You on the World’s side or God’s Side? (freechoicesdotme.wordpress.com)
- How to Walk in the Last Days with God (Part 8: The Bridegroom Cometh) (theeyesoffaith.wordpress.com)
- Triumphing Over Evil (justanotherclaypot.blogspot.com)