On the first day of your Fast:
- Seek Christ-likeness: Ask God to bring to your mind every sin and spiritual shortfall that keeps you from being Christ-like. There is a BIG gap between Jesus and each of us. Confess everything that God brings to your mind (1 John 1:7-9).
- Seek Reconciliation & Forgiveness: If God brings anyone to your mind “who has something against you…before you bring your gift [of fasting] to the altar,” Jesus says to “go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift” (Matthew 5:23).
- Seek Spiritual Baptism / Filling: “Offer your body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God” (Romans 12:1). As Jesus taught us to do, pray, fast and “wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about” (Acts 1:4). Reaffirm to God your need to be continually immersed and “filled with the Holy Spirit” (Acts 4:31; Ephesians 5:18).
- Remember Your True Enemy: As you engage in spiritual fasting, do not underestimate the spiritual opposition you may face. “Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against…the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 6:12). This is a universal principle and eternal truth: Prayer and fasting is the key to spiritual breakthrough.
- Fasting and Praying for the Lost in 2013 (pastorericdykstra.com)